30 May 2009

Needing a map...


I've just arrived back home after a very busy week camping with our local Scout group - this was a special one, as it's our local group's Centenary - we spent the time as a Scout campsite in the Peak District. There have been various adventure activities for the 22 Scouts and Cubs and 10 leaders on every day (no chance for a rest!) but the one that has stuck in my mind with relation to this blog has been our day out doing map-reading with some of the Cubs. We were showing them how to use their maps and compasses, some basic orienteering skills. However, my daily reading for the same day was taken from Psalm 119 (the longest chapter in the Bible) and the verses in the Living Bible translation said:

18 Open my eyes to see wonderful things in your Word.
19 I am but a pilgrim here on earth: how I need a map - and your commands are my chart and guide.
20 I long for your instructions more than I can tell.


These verses spoke to me very strongly as I was in unfamiliar territory, armed only with a compass and a map for guidance. How lost would I have been without those two. It's the same in my Christian walk - my chart and guide in the Word of God. My only compass is the one which I have inside me, pointing to my Lord. However, how can I help others in their own walk unless I am sure that my own compass and map are being used correctly?
Lord, I long for your instructions more than I can tell.

No comments: