8 November 2009

Being Me

Do I attract you? Do I repulse you with my queasy smile?
Am I too dirty? Am I too flirty?
Do I like what you like?

I got to be wholesome, I could be loathsome
Guess I'm a little bit shy
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you like me without making me try?

I tried to be like Grace Kelly (mmmm)
But all her looks were too sad (ahhh ahhh)
So I tried a little Freddie (mmm)
I've gone identity mad!

I could be brown, I could be blue
I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful, I could be purple
I could be anything you like
Gotta be green, Gotta be mean
Gotta be everything more
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you walk out the door!
(lyrics from 'Grace Kelly' by Mika - written by Mika (Mica Penniman), Jodi Marr, John Merchant, Dan Warner)

The problem with trying to be me is sometimes confused by the fact that other people tell you how you should feel - they won't let you be yourself. I used to find it easier to go along with their way of thinking - to 'go with the flow' rather than to take a stand and be true to yourself. Recently I've tried to take that stand and do what I feel is right - it happened twice this weekend. I feel that what I did was right. It just wasn't that easy... does it get easier with time? I can see myself becoming more and more unpopular!

The use of the Mika song lyric was because that was the song playing on the car CD when we pulled up at home this afternoon. The song is satirical, about musicians who try to reinvent themselves to be popular. "Why don't you like me?"

John 15:17-19 (New International Version)
17 This is my command: Love each other.
18 If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.
19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

No comments: