16 January 2010

The Lowest Form Of Wit


"No dark sarcasm in the classroom; teacher, leave those kids alone..."
(Pink Floyd, Another Brick In The Wall, written by Roger Waters)

My thanks go to my colleague Anna for drawing my attention to an article in yesterday's newspaper and setting me off on this particular train of thought. It's said that you lose 55% of your message if you use the phone rather than talk to someone face to face. That loss increases to 93% if the communication is purely non-verbal (text or email). That means only 7% of any message would get through if you text. (See Wikipedia ). To try and compensate somewhat for this, some folk use 'emoticons'... :)

This article gave details of some bright spark who has invented a new symbol to signify sarcasm to a reader if you are texting or emailing. If it's not obvious to the reader! You can read more about it here .

Sarcasm is defined as:
- A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
- A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

Whether you like it or not, sarcasm is frequently used in our society. It's commonly used in satirical shows as part of popular entertainment. However, when used unkindly and in everyday life, it's not funny, merely caustic and bitter. If taken to an extreme it could even be described as 'bullying'. Having been the subject of bullying behaviour whilst at school, I must admit to a lack of tolerance on this subject. I don't care much for sarcasm, and still remember the words of my own mother, who taught me that it is the 'lowest form of wit'.

And I find out today that they've even created a Sarcasm Society ! Oh fantastic. (!)


Sorry, just had to have a bit of a rant today ...

1 comment:

Andrew Bale said...

I don't think I've evere used sarcasm tio bully - at least I hope not! However, I must confess to having it in my armoury. Sometimes sarcasm can work where all else fails. It is a useful term for pointing out hypocrisy and like that good old british favourite 'innuendo, 'the insult (if any exists) is in the ear of the beholder :-)

PS I love "The wall", as another who was bullied at school (and in the work place) I find inspiration in this album (although I have not listened to it for years)

Grace and peace, A