6 July 2010

Serendipity

ser·en·dip·i·ty (noun) - a word first coined from its possession by the heroes of the Persian fairy tale "The Three Princes of Serendip". It is said to be the phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things that you are not currently looking for. Although the word originates from 'Serendip', the Arabic name for Sri Lanka, the modern usage was coined by Horace Walpole in 1754.

I experienced a remarkable case of serendipity this morning. I was sitting on a train, on the way to work, when someone got into the carriage and sat right next to me. This was someone I needed to contact that very week to discuss an issue related to the SAFE music school at the end of the month. Coincidence? I doubt it...

"When I pray, coincidences happen, and when I don't, they don't." - Sir William Temple

No comments: