1 August 2010

B is for Kate Bush



"I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin."

Kate Bush is probably the first musician that ever influenced me in a positive way. Only three years older than me, her unique musical style quickly grabbed my interest in my late teenage years, however it was the quality of her writing and depth of her lyrics that kept me following.

Kate's musical works tackle a number of sensitive and taboo subjects. Favourites include a poignant waltz about a mother mourning the death of her son, killed in active service ("Army Dreamers"); an energetic song about self-confidence and our search for knowledge ("Sat In Your Lap"); a ballad for the Indigenous Australians ("The Dreaming"); incest and subsequent pregnancy ("The Kick Inside"); and the teachings of Jesus and Gurdjieff ("Them Heavy People").

No comments: