4 August 2010

E is for Enya

"Let me sail, let me sail, let the Orinoco Flow
Let me reach, let me beach on the shores of Tripoli"

Eithne Patricia Ní Bhraonáin, often known as Enya Brennan, is an Irish vocalist with a remarkable musical talent. Enya's work first became known to me through the song "Orinoco Flow", a song with particular significance to my wife and I through our early married life.

Enya's family are of course the founders of the group Clannad, whose haunting melodies we recall from the TV series 'Robin of Sherwood'. The group consists of her sister Moya Brennan and her brother Ciarán Brennan, with their twin uncles Noel and Pádraig Duggan. Enya herself was a member of Clannad at one time, as was her brother Pól Brennan (who co-wrote "The Theme from Harry's Game" with Ciarán).

No comments: