17 September 2010

What's The Point?

I have always liked listening to the opinions of others. This all started in my teens, when I started listening to late night talk radio; I have found it helpful to shape my own views by listening to extremes of opinion. Nowadays, I seem to find myself reading other people's blogs. This tends to follow the same extremes!

One main theme that seems to recur in blog writing (usually when people have had a hard day, and are letting off steam) is to question the meaning of existence, crying out to those who want to hear "What's The Point?".

I have bad days, too. Tuesday was pretty awful in many ways; today has just been frantic! However, I find that my beliefs equip me with the tools that I need to see me through the bad times. It doesn't cushion you from these extremes. Just because you have a faith, doesn't mean that you're immune. We have the same bad days as others. How we handle these days is the key to victory. Just listen to this:

Ephesians 6:10-13 (New International Version)
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
11 Put on the full armour of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
13 Therefore put on the full armour of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Here's a collection of quotations that I have picked from these other blogs on the same subject.

"Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own."- Adam Lindsay Gordon

"What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult to each other?" - George Eliot (a pseudonym of Mary Ann Evans Cross)

"Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends on us." - Thomas L. Holdcroft

There's a truth or two in there, if you look for it. And if anyone is listening...

No comments: