3 January 2011

In Search Of Joy

First, there was the incapacity of a broken ankle, restricting the things I could do. This was followed by the sheer inconvenience of the bout of sickness that prevented me from going to the Corps yesterday. I could not believe how low I ended up feeling by the evening!

It was clear this morning that I needed a jump-start, something to snap me back to normality. I need a little 'joie de vivre' - so I set out to find it today. This is what I found...

Nehemiah 8:10 (New Living Translation)
And Nehemiah continued, “Go and celebrate with a feast of rich foods and sweet drinks, and share gifts of food with people who have nothing prepared. This is a sacred day before our Lord. Don’t be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!”

After a little while I realised that what I needed was the 'joy of the Lord'. That's what I've been lacking the most.... not the physical feasting that we enjoy at this time of year (there's been plenty there!), but a feasting on God's word, to acquire strength and wisdom, so I can be more effective in doing His will. As my body seeks to recuperate, to regain strength, I have somehow neglected to keep my spirit fed. As I have sought assistance from others to do some basic tasks, I have clearly neglected to seek from God that assistance that I need to live. I have been running low on Joy.

I'm working on this now.

No comments: