30 January 2011

Thoughts On Brotherhood And Suffering

Philippians 3:7-11 (New International Version, ©2011)
But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

This weekend has been a real eye-opener. Saturday saw me attending a men's fellowship conference day in Romford, which was really good to attend for a number of reasons. The main thing I brought back from that day is the importance of sharing and receiving comradeship within a church fellowship - which in the context of men's ministry represents a supportive brotherhood. I really warmed to this idea, having been brought up as an only child and therefore lacking the benefit of brothers. I spent a good part of the subsequent evening getting this into context, reviewing all those 'fraternal' relationships I had experienced in my life, and in particular since becoming a Christian in 1988.

Today, the Spirit really moved me during the morning meeting at the Corps. Bullseye, a hit dead centre. Zoe was preaching on Philippians 3 at the time, with the words about 'participation in His sufferings' resounding within me. Words cannot adequately express how I felt, but it was powerful.

In trying to unpack my own feelings on this topic this afternoon, this led me to a study on koinonia, the English version of the Greek word κοινωνία that refers to the sort of fellowship experienced by members of the early church, starting from Acts 2. These Christians were united together in love, faith, and encouragement. Identifying with Christ's own sufferings, they bore each others burdens as they lived and worked together. They kept going and didn't give up. Could the reading from Philippians from this morning have something to do with those thoughts on fellowship/brotherhood from Saturday? I think so.

I'll end this entry with words from Graham Kendrick's song 'Knowing You', which speaks of the importance of a personal relationship with Jesus as a foundation to Christian service. The song is inspired from Philippians, with the third verse being based on this particular passage:-

Oh, to know the power of Your risen life,
And to know You in Your suffering,
To become like You in Your death, My Lord,
So with You to live and never die.


Knowing You, Jesus, knowing You.
There is no greater thing.
You're my all, You're the best,
You're my joy, My righteousness;
And I love You, Lord.
(Graham Kendrick, Copyright © 1993 Make Way Music)


No comments: