18 February 2011

Play To Your Strengths

I've been encouraged over the last few years to push myself out of my comfort zone, to try and do something new in my life. Some of my recent escapades have been documented in this blog. Now, learning what you can do anew is a great idea (you find out new things you are good at!), however there comes the inevitable time when you need to stop and take stock of your life. Whilst I have been looking at the whole subject of sacrificial giving, I have looked at my own giving, reviewing the use of my time and talents as well as my finances. About what I do for Him, give to Him.... And how to do better.

As part of this I've been giving consideration to my own strengths. Stuff that I feel really comfortable doing. I think that I've been getting so practiced at ignoring the boundaries of my comfort zone that I've begun to forget what it is that I am good at! Instead of pushing these particular boundaries all the time, reaching out into those areas where I know I am weak, I'd like for a while to explore 'playing to my strengths'. On working on my own particular gifts, on ways to use them more wisely. Let's face it, what would have happened if the great musicians of our time hadn't decided to devote their lives to their obvious gifting. Each of them took time to practice, to develop their natural strengths. In this case, the gift of music.

I'm not particularly gifted in music, but I do the best I can. We can't all be good at everything, however each of us has a natural aptitude in something. Christians talk of spiritual gifts, acknowledging the fact that these gifts ultimately come from God. Some of us don't even recognise what our strengths are. I've taken a number of spiritual gift questionnaires - you can find some online if you look - so I think I have a pretty good idea.

Most web articles I have read this week on this topic suggest that you should 'play to your strengths' - that is, to spend the majority of your time working at something where you have an aptitude. If others are better at the things where you are weak, why not let them do it?

I realise that it is unlikely I will ever be anything other than average in areas where I don't have a specific gift. What I need to do is to ensure I do plenty of what I'm really good at - use the gifts God has given me to the best of my ability. I know that if I invest my time and energy in something I know I am good at, and enjoy doing, then I'm working in the right direction.

Romans 12:4-8 (New International Version, ©2010)
4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

1 comment:

Just Be Real said...

Makes sense to me. Thank you for posting.