18 April 2011

Searching for Meaning

Ecclesiastes 1:1-2 (New International Version, ©2011)
The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. “Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.”

I must admit that I was very confused when someone mentioned this passage of scripture to me at the weekend. However, I certainly got so much from it when I did some reading up on this during this week. I'm much more enlightened now!

The word 'meaningless' here is a translation of the Hebrew word הבל (hebel), which literally means vapour or breath. The writer concludes that everything is shallow, empty, meaningless - with as much substance as vapour - which pretty much sums up much of our disposable, throw-away society. The chapter then goes on to state that there’s "nothing new under the sun". People don't seem to learn and keep making the same mistakes over and over again. How true.

Older translations render this Hebrew word as 'vanity'. This word originally meant futility: it now specifically refers to a narcissistic pride in your appearance. The modern use of this word does rather take us away somewhat from the original meaning. However, it does lead us neatly to John Bunyan's 1678 classic 'Pilgrims Progress', that alludes to this very phrase when his pilgrims reach a town that has a fair. 'Vanity Fair' is much like our modern-day world; people are there buying and selling all sorts of tat, the latest fads and fashions, anything for a profit and for gain.

Are you looking for meaning in a world that is so often meaningless? I doubt you will find the answer in 'Vanity Fair', however often you look. In fact, some never find it. Some may start out to find the answer but lack stamina and give up before they get there. However, if you keep searching, keep reading, keep an open mind, keep questioning, keep researching - yes, you will find it.

I wonder where you will be on Good Friday? Will you be taking the advantage of the Bank Holiday to do some extra shopping, to see what's new in the marketplace, to check out 'Vanity Fair'... Or will you be at church, giving some quality time to honour the King of Kings?

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Jeremiah 29:13 (New International Version, ©2011)
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

No comments: