27 April 2011

Wise And Foolish Builders - part two

The bible passage contained in my previous blog entry is one that keeps cropping up in my daily reading, so perhaps it's a good one to focus on this week. This follows on from a recent Bible Study at our Corps, when Graeme asked the group to meditate on whether our lives were truly built on Christ's solid Rock.

I've been pondering this for a while, as long-time followers of this blog will recall. A recurring prayer of mine has been 'Lord, lift me from the miry clay and place my feet firmly on the Rock'.

There was a particular quotation from Alexander Solzhenitsyn in that bible study, taken from a time when he was stripped of all dignity and hope, imprisoned in a Russian labour camp. He writes about the day "when I deliberately let myself sink to the bottom and found it firm beneath my feet - the hard rocky bottom which is the same for all."

In all my pleas for God to lift me from the mire, to plant my feet on the Rock, it dawned on me. The Rock wasn't something I was missing; it was already there. Underneath the mire, holding me up all this time. It's already the firm foundation of my life.

No comments: