14 May 2011

Mountains Out Of Molehills

Do you know someone who always seems to make a big deal out of a small issue? I do. He always seems to be doing it. Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Coming down hard on others for a small mistake or an error in judgement. They call it "making a mountain out of a molehill", a phrase has been in common usage since 1548, so it seems that this has been going around for a while!

Is it me, or is this sort of over-reaction getting more and more commonplace? As an individual who struggles a bit with his own moods, I tend to look twice at any situation just to be sure I'm getting it right. I don't want to over-react. I don't want to be like that bloke; I'd much prefer to think things through and to get it right.

Some people have said that we are now living in an age of 'over-reaction'. The daily papers are filled with extreme statements, reacting to every act in the political arena or on the cinema 'red carpet', making instant, snap judgements about everyone. And just think of the problems we face from the extremes of health and safety risk assessments! If we listened to every one of these, some of us wouldn't ever get out of bed!

Or am I over-reacting? Comments are welcomed.

James 1:19-20 (New International Version)
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

No comments: