1 June 2011

Through A Glass, Darkly

"Through a Glass Darkly" (Såsom i en spegel) is a Swedish film, written and directed in 1961 by Ingmar Bergman. The title comes from scripture, from 1 Corinthians 13:12, which refers to our efforts to understand or comprehend God. You see, any picture that we may get of the Almighty is just a glimpse, like the image in a poor mirror. The view will only be crystal clear when we meet Him face to face. The film's original title means 'As in a Mirror', taken from a 1917 Swedish translation of the Bible. The English title is the King James Version equivalent; "For now we see through a glass, darkly."

I prefer to use modern English translations when studying scripture but there's something about this phrase from the KJV that speaks to me today. Perhaps it's discovering that this was quoted by Jean-Luc Picard in one of the Star Trek films (a fact I only realised yesterday); perhaps it was the article on depression that I just read that also quoted it that has kept this in the front of my mind.

Today has been quite a dark day for me. I am longing for the day when I can see the light. I eagerly wait for it.

1 Corinthians 13:12 (New International Version)
For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

No comments: