14 January 2012

Getting To Know The Lay Of The Land

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." L P Hartley (1895-1972)

"I offer a toast. The undiscovered country...the future." Line spoken by Chancellor Gorkon in 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' (but referencing Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1)

Picture the scene. You arrive in a strange town, perhaps a foreign country, never have been there before. It takes you a while to acclimatise yourself. To get to know where the shops are, the best place to get a bite to eat, and so on. To get to know the lay of the land. The customs, even the language used, may be totally different.

We're now at the end of the second week of January, and I think I've got a fair idea what challenges are ahead of me in 2012. Oh, definitely not the same as 2011! It's awesome to see what has changed, how things are different since this time last year, my head is reeling. Including how much my attitude has changed...

So, my sleeves are rolled up. I'm a little taken aback by the speed this has happened but am eager to embrace the challenge. I'm ready for new things.

Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

Just Be Real said...

Thanks for sharing the scripture and what lies ahead for you in 2012. I certainly can see early on for me as well with my job situation. Blessings to you Collin