10 February 2012

I Get It Now




Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: [about Ensign Ro] "She doesn't belong here. She doesn't even belong in the uniform, as far as I'm concerned."
Guinan: "Really?"
Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: "Really."
Guinan: "Sounds like someone I'd like to know."
from 'Ensign Ro' (1991)

I've been a Star Trek fan since my teens. I have always understood the underlying message of the show, the truths about tolerance and teamwork which are an important part of Gene Roddenberry's SF classic. These stories influenced me years before I ever heard the words of Jesus. Modern day morality tales, reinforcing the concepts of universal brotherhood, the importance of the words 'let me help'. And it's still doing so...

Take Guinan's words, taken from an episode of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' which first aired three years after I started out on the Christian path. I'd been looking at the episodes again recently after a ten-year gap, when I came across this one. And I got it. I suddenly understood Guinan's need to get to know Ro Laren (who was being shunned by the others because of her reputation).


After years of studying Jesus' encounters with various different people from the Gospels, the words that Guinan used in that episode now had particular meaning to me. It reinforced Christ's challenge in my own life on relationships, on accepting others who are different ... even to some extent on uniform wearing!


Much to ponder today.






1 comment:

Just Be Real said...

Colin, I was never much of a Trekkie. Still, appreciate what you shared here though. Blessings.