3 February 2012

Yoked Fellowship: part two

I ended my last blog entry with an opportunity to reflect on the word 'yokefellow', which I had found mentioned in one of Paul's letters...

Philippians 4:3
(KJV) And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

(CEV) And, my true partner, I ask you to help them. These women have worked together with me and with Clement and with the others in spreading the good news. Their names are now written in the book of life.

The word 'yokefellow' is an archaic term for a fellow worker used in the King James Version, however one that refers straight back to The Lord's teaching that I shared earlier. (I also like the CEV translation of 'true partner' which is why I've added it.) Paul uses this term to describe the unique partnership shared between fellow Christians who work closely together.

The Greek word for yokefellow is συζυγος (sunzugos) which implies someone who is 'yoked together', therefore a close companion, a business associate, perhaps even a marriage partner. Harnessed together as a team. In fact, Philippians 4:3 is the only time this word is used in the New Testament. Some scholars say Paul is referring to a person by name (or perhaps a nickname), however this view is not held by all.

It's interesting to note that early-day disciples were sent out in groups of two. These disciples lived together; worked together; played together; prayed together. True partners. They were like-minded, with a common goal, a common enthusiasm. They were there for one another, helping each other, bearing each others burdens. Not judging, but supporting. And totally enthusiastic about their calling!

I get it now. And there's something very attractive in this.

No comments: