26 May 2012

From Darkness Into Light

I have been extremely privileged to be a part of this year's Territorial Congress in London, entitled 'I'll Fight'. This is of course a reference to William Booth's famous speech which he gave to a large gathering at the Royal Albert Hall in May 1912. A century after that event comes this very Congress, and the current General, Linda Bond, opened the proceedings this evening with those very same words in the very same venue:

"While women weep, as they do now, I'll fight; while children go hungry, as they do now I'll fight; while men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now, I'll fight; while there is a drunkard left, while there is a poor lost girl upon the streets, while there remains one dark soul without the light of God, I'll fight, I'll fight to the very end!"

I was particularly challenged by the sentiment, realising that we as a movement - and therefore, myself as a member of that movement, are called to the dark places of society, the dens of iniquity, the haunts of sin and shame. This clearly aren't comfortable places to be. But where else can I be if I want to be true to my beliefs? And how can I ever handle that darkness that threatens to overwhelm? A darkness that I know too well...

By carrying the light within me. The Light Of The World.

Much to mull over tonight.

No comments: