22 January 2013

Grace and Gracias

I heard someone on the radio make a point this morning which has really stuck with me today. And challenged me. Perhaps it was because of my ever-growing To Do list...

Anyway, the speaker drew a comparison between asking for God's grace to help in a difficult situation, whilst also having a thankful heart as we do so. He pointed to the fact that many words involving thanks are rooted in 'grace' : the Spanish word gracias, for example...

How thankful, am I, for some of the challenges that I face? Hmmm... it's back to that passage from Thessalonians for me...

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV)
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater, 
He sendeth more strength when the labours increase, 
To added affliction He addeth His mercy, 
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace. 

His love has no limit, His grace has no measure, 
His power no boundary known unto men, 
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus, 
He giveth and giveth and giveth again.
Annie Johnson Flint (1866-1932)

No comments: