13 May 2013

Life Gets Tedious Don't It?


The sun comes up and the sun goes down,
The hands on the clock keep going around;
I just get up and it's time to lay down,
Life gets tee-jus don't it?

My shoes untied, but I don't care,
I ain't figuring on going nowhere;
I'd have to wash and comb my hair;
And that's just wasted effort.

The water in the well's getting lower and lower,
Can't take a bath for six months or more;
But I've heard it said and it's true I'm sure,
That too much bathing will weaken you.

I open the door and the flies swarm in,
Shut the door and I'm sweating again;
And in the process I cracked my shin,
Just one darn thing after another.

You know that old brown mule, he must be sick,
I jabbed him in the rump with a pin on a stick;
He humped his back but he wouldn't kick,
There's something cockeyed somewhere.

A mouse a-chawing at the pantry door,
He's been at it for a month or more;
When he gets through there, he's sure going to be sore,
There ain't a darn thing in there.

Hound dog howling so forlorn,
Laziest dog that ever was born;
He's howling 'cause he's sitting on a thorn,
Just too tired to move over.

Tin roof leaks and the chimney leans,
There's a hole in the seat of my old blue jeans
I've ate the last of the pork and beans,
Just can't depend on nothing.

The cows gone dry and hens won't lay,
Fish quit biting last Saturday;
Troubles pile up day by day,
Now I'm getting dandruff.

Grief and misery, pains and woes,
Debts and taxes and so it goes;
And I think I'm getting a cold in the nose,
Life gets tasteless don't it?

(Lyrics to "Life Gets Tee-jus Don't It", a song written and composed by in 1948 by Carson Robinson)



No comments: