25 April 2014

Pearls

"Pearls before swine" is a phrase used by Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 7:6), where He warned about putting what is valuable in front of those who will not recognise its value - they will either ridicule it or destroy what you offer.

These words have been bouncing around in my head this afternoon. 

The things of value in my life? My time and energy, the opportunities I get in this world to help others; the abilities I possess.

But I know what it is like to have these ridiculed. And, interestingly, from those that I would have thought would know better... 

It's a little tricky to determine when to offer these 'pearls' and when not to do so. However, I'm beginning to understand about my critics. I'm told that we can "know them by their fruits" (Matthew 7:20). 

Matthew 7:6 (NIV)
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

No comments: