25 July 2014

Compassion Fatigue

I came across a series of articles about compassion fatigue when I started looking at reasons why my feelings sometimes start going a little awry; why I start 'switching off'... (see the post a couple of weeks ago)

All this is now making a whole lot of sense to me, helping me in my efforts to ringfence my precious 'recharging time'. I love being there to help people but I realise that I don't need to be there for people all of the time. I need to think of myself sometimes...

I have found a useful website on the subject - check out the website here. I especially liked the references on this site to self-discovery and journalling as a means of coming to terms with this. I've already started!

I'm confident this will help me care for my own needs, which in turn will help me care better for others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here, Here!

After all, the Good Samaritan would have been useless to the robbery victim if he hadn't been able to care for himself first.

Be true to yourself.

The Artful Dodger.