4 November 2014

Dedicated Follower Of Fashion


"They seek him here, they seek him there,
His clothes are loud, but never square.
It will make or break him so he's got to buy the best,
'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion."
(Lyrics from the Kinks)

Don't get me wrong. There is no way that's anything like me at the top of this entry. If anything I'm far too staid for this sort of get-up. Unless it's fancy dress, then I can go a little crazy...

I must admit I've never tended not to worry unduly about my appearance - isn't it supposed to be all about getting the inside right? So what if my suit is 12 years out of date? Surely it's more important to care for others; to have a servant’s heart. And, as Toyah Wilcox once said, "as long as you're warm, who cares?"

However, this is a big deal for some individuals who continue to badger me to dress differently. In the proper 'style'. They are not very subtle - some are downright rude! And I don't respond well to 'rude'.

Now, having said that, I know that I am His ambassador (2 Corinthians 5:20) and therefore need to dress accordingly. I want to represent Him well. To be smart and presentable.

So, it's all a question of balance. Like many people I know at the moment, funds are tight. And so I need to choose wisely, work within a budget. And not just do like others do.

Anyway, why should I spend great chunks of my time shopping for clothes? My precious time... which could be spent oh so much better...

And then there's the sheer cost of it all!

Anybody got any thoughts on the subject?

No comments: