8 January 2015

You Need A Rest

Take a break ... the world will keep spinning!

I have a poster by my desk which says exactly that. Because I have to constantly remind myself to take a break every so often - for my own health's sake as much as anything!

It's so easy just to keep sitting at your desk and to keep on working. Once you have taken a break it's so tough to get back into the swing of where you have got to. And I still remember one boss who once tried to convince me that "lunch is for wimps". A stupid comment, but one which has stayed with me...

Of course, scripture is filled with instructions about recreation and relaxation. It's right there in the Ten Commandments. The Good Lord knew we needed this sort of guideline. It’s for our own benefit so we don’t burn ourselves out.

Yet, how often do we see people doing exactly the opposite. Even on their supposed day-off you can catch them working. And often, their bosses are in agreement with this!

It does matter that we are obedient - to God. You are of more use to him if you recharge your batteries regularly. And then you can give Him your best.

I'm off to lunch now.

Exodus 34:21 (NIV)
"Six days you shall labour, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the ploughing season and harvest you must rest."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin,

We live in a world that revels in excess. Therefore, many view it as 'normal' and 'healthy' to be overly busy.

True, over idleness is just as bad. Yet we will never strike a balance unless we realise that over-work is as damaging to us.

Regards,

The Artful Dodger.