22 May 2015

How Not To Be Seen

"This is Mr Nesbitt of Harlow New Town. Mr Nesbitt, would you stand up please. (after a pause - nothing happens) Mr Nesbitt has learnt the value of not being seen. However he has chosen a very obvious piece of cover." (The bush explodes and you hear a muffled scream.)
(taken, of course, from Monty Python)

I've been thinking a lot over the last few days about being seen. Obviously, I suppose, it's obvious after a full day at the exhibition yesterday, standing at the front of an illuminated display stand.

Do I want to be invisible? Not to be seen?

Actually, I do. There are many times when I want to retreat back into the background. It's very exposed and scary being alone and illuminated and different. Deep down, I want to be hidden and invisible and safe. The breaks I take from the limelight (relative, of course) are precious, however I am driven by my faith to return to that place because I have a job to do. I need to stand up and be different. But it's uncomfortable.

Yes, I am aware of the number of scripture references about being a light on a lamp stand. And to do the things that I have to do, I need to be visible.

But here's the thing. The very people that I want to reach out to, the marginalised, the lonely, the shunned, are invisible too. Not seen by so many.
So, should I embrace my invisibility more?

By which I mean - is there a role where I can be more effective and yet less visible?

No comments: