14 July 2015

Amazing Grace

"My chains are gone, I've been set free
My God, my Saviour has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, amazing grace...."

(chorus from the Chris Tomlin version of the hymn)

"I started doing some research on Amazing Grace, and I was blown away that the last verse (When we've been there 10,000 years bright shining as the sun) was written about 100 years later. The original verse by John Newton was The earth shall soon dissolve like snow, this incredible verse that I'd never seen in a hymn book. I started thinking about where John Newton came from, the slave ships, and what God had done in his life. We're all made slaves to sin in our life, but God has set us free. He has ransomed us from our slavery. I just wanted to add this idea that I hope brings freshness to the heart of the song." — Chris Tomlin

That last verse:
"The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below,
Will be forever mine.
Will be forever mine.
You are forever mine."

No comments: