5 September 2015

Putting Words In My Mouth

I'm actually fairly good at stringing a few sentences together on the printed page or on screen - even if I do say so myself (and I'm definitely one of those who believe self-praise is no recommendation).

However, put me on the spot and tell me that I have to come up with a few choice pearls of wisdom face-to-face - that's quite a different matter. You're more likely to get some long rambling thing rather than those few nuggets of gold that you may be expecting. I can easily get tongue-tied, then start spouting clichés and half-formed ideas. I need a bit of time to arrange my thoughts...

However, it can happen differently. I was out the other day, plodding my way through the roads of my town for The Salvation Army (it's the Army's door-to-door appeal this month, entitled 'The Big Collection'). A lady came to her door and then proceeded to ask me a question.

And out came an inspired, even eloquent answer. Just like that.

I remember thinking to myself, "Where did that come from?"

I don't know about you, but it's proof positive to me that God gives us the words we need to say when the time is right.

Luke 21:15 (NIV)
"For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict."

No comments: