20 January 2016

Rocking The Boat

"And the people all said sit down
Sit down you're rocking the boat
The people all said sit down
Sit down you're rocking the boat
and the devil will drag you under
By the sharp lapels of your checkered coat
Sit down Sit down
Sit down you're rocking the boat"

(lyrics by Frank Loesser - "Sit Down You're Rockin' The Boat" from Guys and Dolls)

I'm not usually a 'boat-rocker'. However, sometimes I have to be...

Because there are those times when I need to choose between my natural instinct to be a "people-pleaser" and the need to simply stand up and be counted - for something that matters to me.

It's a big deal.

I can't be all things to all men. I simply can’t keep everyone happy.

And lately I've been concerned that I'm giving excessive amounts of time and energy to the wrong people - folks who I'm increasingly convinced don't care about the same things that I do. They are never happy. And that's draining. It's like they're pulling a different way to me in our boat... and as such, the boat is starting to head a different way....

Do I need to rock the boat?

Or jump ship and find another boat entirely?


No comments: